Prozac (fluoxetine) is good for treating depression and anxiety. It’s more energizing than other antidepressants, so it may not be the best choice for people who have trouble sleeping.
- Effectively treats a variety of mental health conditions such as depression, OCD, and panic disorder.
- It’s more energizing than other antidepressants, so it’s good for people who have low energy.
- Might be a good option for treating children with depression and/or OCD.
- Doesn’t have effects on the heart unlike other antidepressants so it may be a better treatment choice for older people.
- Can cause a significant amount of weight loss which is an added benefit for those who are overweight or obese.
- Takes at least 1 to 2 weeks to kick in and can take up to 12 weeks for maximum effect. Prozac (fluoxetine) tends to take more time to start working compared to similar alternatives.
- Can lower your sex drive.
- Can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and/or behavior in those age 24 or younger.
- You may need to try out several different antidepressants before you find the one that works for you.
Prozac (fluoxetine) is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant. It increases serotonin activity in the brain, which regulates mood.
- Drug class: Mental health
- Rx status: Prescription only
- Generic status: Lower-cost generic available (fluoxetine)