Duragesic (fentanyl) is an excellent pain reliever, but should only be used by people who’ve tried other opioid pain medications and still need more relief.
Quick facts about fentanyl
- Drug class: Pain
- Rx status: Prescription only
- Generic status: Lower-cost generic available (fentanyl)
- Duragesic (fentanyl) is stronger than morphine, works quickly, and doesn’t cause as many stomach problems.
- It’s available in many dosage forms, including a patch, injection, film, nasal spray, and lollipop.
- The Duragesic (fentanyl) patch provides long-term pain relief and lowers the number of times you need to take pain medications each day.
- Duragesic (fentanyl) isn’t for everyone. It’s a really strong pain medication and taking too much can be deadly.
- The patch doesn’t provide quick pain relief.
- Often causes drowsiness and constipation. If taking long-term, use a stool softener.
- Shouldn’t be used by people with breathing problems (like asthma and COPD), a slow heart rate, or are elderly.